The La Forcola Hotel is situated in the middle of Strada Nuova, half way between the train Station and the Rialto. Just one minute from the hotel there is Ca’ Vendramin Calergi, the splendid Palace overlooking the Grand Canal, which houses the Venice Casino.
This is a very characteristic and strategic area, especially for those who are interested in discovering the real soul of Venice, choosing the lesser beaten tracks, such as, for example, that leading to the very ancient Jewish Ghetto, about 5 minutes from the hotel. The position in the heart of the historic center also allows visitors to easily reach all the symbolic places in Venice: the Rialto Bridge and the spectacular St. Mark’s Square.
The Palazzo Vendramin Calergi was built in around 1480 and over the past centuries was passed from hand to hand, often being sold for ridiculously low sums by the noble families that had fallen out of favor. Financial problems, however, did not prevent the owners from enriching the halls of the palace with renaissance frescoes, tapestries and statues. In 1739 this splendid palace on the Grand Canal was inherited by the Vendramin Calergi family, from which it took its name, although a century later it was sold again. First to the Duchess of Berry and then to the Count de Bardi, who had the honor of giving hospitality to Richard Wagner during the composition of “Parsifal”. The last owner was the famous Volpi di Misurata Count, who lived there from 1937 until 1946, the year in which Ca’ Vendramin Calergi was sold to the Venice City council, becoming the city’s Casino.